Search for lawyers
Virginia Allan is an international arbitration specialist in Uría Menéndez’s Madrid office. She joined the firm as counsel in 2009.
Virginia regularly represents clients in international commercial arbitration and investment protection disputes. She has participated in numerous international proceedings with their seat in Paris, Geneva, Zurich, Budapest, Lisbon, Madrid, Mexico City, Tokyo and Washington, D.C., both ad hoc and under the rules of various international arbitration institutions, such as the ICC, ICSID and the Swiss Chambers. She has participated in cases applying the laws of Bolivia, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Guatemala, Italy, Mexico, Moldova, the Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Spain, Turkey, U.S. (New York and Florida) and Venezuela. She has acted as secretary to arbitral tribunals in ICC and ICDR proceedings and has been appointed Sole Arbitrator in ICC proceedings.
Virginia’s experience encompasses a number of sectors; among others, biotech, construction and engineering, electrical energy distribution, mergers and acquisitions, oil and gas, and professional sports, as well as the protection of foreign investment.
Prior to joining Uría Menéndez, Virginia was an associate in the International Arbitration group at Shearman & Sterling LLP in Paris. Virginia began her legal career as a law clerk to the Hon. Roger J. Miner of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- University of Arizona, J.D., summa cum laude, 1999
- University of Illinois, M.A., 1984
- University of Illinois, B.A.,1981
Membership of Professional Associations
- New York State Bar Association
- International Bar Association, Arbitration Committee
- ICC North American Committee of the Commission on Arbitration, European Subcommittee member
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- International Arbitration Institute (IAI Paris)
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA)
- Asociación Latinoamericana de Arbitraje (ALArb)
- Club Español del Arbitraje (CEA)
CEDR, accredited mediator