Mining LawUría Menéndez is one of the few Spanish law firms with a multidisciplinary team specialised in mining law.
Many of the team’s fifteen lawyers have been regarded on numerous occasions by their peers and the most prestigious national and international legal directories as undisputed leaders in the Spanish and Portuguese legal markets in practice areas relevant to mining activities, such as administrative, environmental, urban planning, project finance and tax law. Our expertise in corporate law also ensures our clients second to none advice on the sale and purchase of mining companies and assets.
The experience of our lawyers and their role in many of the most important deals in the Spanish and Portuguese markets has led them to advise both purchasers and sellers, developers and borrowers, on all types of transactions related to the mining industry. We provide our clients with a comprehensive analysis of every legal matter arising from their activities, offering them both innovative solutions and tried and tested structures that best suit their needs.
Typical commercial transactions in which our experts in mining law are involved include options and earn-ins, joint ventures and shareholder agreements, acquisitions and dispositions, royalties and mine construction and mine operating agreements. In addition, mining projects demand our skills in such complex areas as structuring transactions to promote tax efficiencies, reduce exposure to regulatory risk and facilitate financing. We also advise our clients on other areas of the mining industry, such as:
- Permitting, including investigation and exploration permits, exploitation authorisations and concessions.
- Protecting mining rights when territorial and urban planning instruments are amended.
- Closing and restoration of mining areas.
- Environmental impact assessment related to mining projects and activities.
- Legal audits of mining assets and legal opinions on mining issues.
- Civil, administrative, contentious-administrative and criminal proceedings related to mining, environmental and planning issues.