Tax“These lawyers combine technical expertise with a sense of practicality: they understand both the law and the authorities, and are able to anticipate the responses of the latter.” (Chambers Europe, 2012)
Filipe Romão is a lawyer in the Lisbon office of Uría Menéndez-Proença de Carvalho. He joined the firm in 2001 after practicing in another prestigious Portuguese law firm and a leading consultancy firm from 1996 until 2001. He became a partner in January 2005.
Filipe focuses his practice on tax law, and advises on the following:
- M&A: on tax issues arising from the acquisition of companies, mergers, IPOs and joint ventures.
- Financial products and capital markets: on the design of financial products with different financial institutions and investment banks in order to optimise the tax treatment of those products.
- Family businesses and high net-worth individuals: to obtain tax benefits and to pass on the family business in the most tax efficient manner.
- International tax planning: foreign investments in Portugal (taxation of non-resident companies and individuals) as well as Portuguese investments abroad.
- Real estate transactions and project finance: on conventional tax issues, and in particular on those related to (i) the acquisition and transfer of real estate, (ii) the development of real estate generally, and shopping centres specifically, and (iii) project finance transactions.
- Tax inspections and disputes: representation in proceedings, claims and appeals before the Portuguese tax authorities and courts.
- Law Degree, Faculdade de Direito da Universidade Clássica de Lisboa, 1995
- Postgraduate Degree in Tax Law, Instituto Superior de Gestão, 1998
- Postgraduate Degree in Securities, Faculdade de Direito da Universidade Clássica de Lisboa, 1999
- Postgraduate Degree in Management, Universidade Católica Portuguesa, 1996-1997
Membership of Professional Associations
- Portuguese Bar Association
- Portuguese Fiscal Association