Tax“These lawyers combine technical expertise with a sense of practicality: they understand both the law and the authorities, and are able to anticipate the responses of the latter.” (Chambers Europe)
Main Practice Areas
Rafael García Llaneza is a lawyer in the Madrid office of Uría Menéndez. He joined the firm in 1990 (after working for Price WaterhouseCoopers for two years as an accountant). Rafael headed up the Tax Practice Area of Uría Menéndez’s New York office from 1993 to 1998 and was made partner in 2001.
Rafael focuses his practice on corporate tax, non-residents tax and accounting law. His has been involved in diverse corporate restructuring, real estate investment and private equity transactions. In the last two years he has been heavily involved in the planning and negotiation of several telecoms and renewable energy project finance deals. Moreover, he has worked on the most important project finance transactions in Spain, including advising:
- renewable energy companies on the issuance of high yield bonds and the negotiation of joint venture deals;
- financial entities on credit transations and developing hybrid products in Spain;
- credit entities, on the negotiation of joint venture agreements in the bank insurance and personal loan sector;
- the re-organisation and incorporation of companies in the bioliquid sector; and
- the structurisation of project finances and the design of private equity acquisition structures.
Rafael has been named leading tax lawyer by the main international directories of the legal profession such as Chambers Global, Global Counsel 3000 and Global Counsel Handbooks.
- Law Degree, Universidad Pontificia de Comillas - ICADE, Madrid, 1987
- Business Administration Degree, Universidad Pontificia de Comillas - ICADE, Madrid, 1988
Membership of Professional Associations
- Madrid Bar Association