Cecilia Álvarez is a lawyer in the Madrid office of Uría Menéndez. She was admitted to the Madrid Bar Association and joined the firm in 1997. She became a counsel in January 2009.
Cecilia focuses her practice on advising national and multinational companies on matters relating to information technology (in particular, regarding outsourcing), data protection, e-commerce, contract law and corporate law, and domain names.
Cecilia is the vice-president of the Spanish Privacy Professional Association and member of the Steering Committees of the International Privacy Law Forum and The Sedona Conference respectively. She is also part of the Volunteer Group of Privacy Experts of the OECD Working Party on Information Security and Privacy (WPISP) in charge of reviewing the OECD guidelines governing the protection of privacy and transborder data flows of personal data.
Her work in IT has been recognised by the prestigious publication Best Lawyers in Spain since 2012 and in 2013 they named her Lawyer of the Year for Privacy & Data Protection. Cecilia has also been highly praised by Chambers Europe and by PLC Which Lawyer? for her work in IT, e-commerce and outsourcing.
- Law Degree, Universidad San-Pablo CEU, Madrid, 1997
- Ph.D. in Business Administration, Universidad San-Pablo CEU, Madrid, 1998
- Madrid Bar Association
- Spanish Professional Privacy Association (Asociación Profesional Española de Privacidad, APEP)
- Forum on International Privacy Law
- International Technology Law Association (ITechLaw)
- The Sedona Conference