Miguel Virgós is a lawyer in the Madrid office of Uría Menéndez. He joined the firm as counsel in 2004 and became partner in 2008.
Miguel has extensive experience in international transactions focusing on civil, commercial law and litigation. He has represented the Kingdom of Spain in the negotiation of international treaties and been involved in legislative projects in Spain and Europe. His report on insolvency proceedings in Europe is regularly referred to by European courts.
Miguel specialises in international business transactions and advises on civil and commercial matters, dispute resolution and investment protection. He has ample experience as counsel in the area of international arbitration, having represented clients in a vast number of complex matters involving different domestic laws, and as arbitrator under the rules of different institutions. Miguel coordinates the international litigation and arbitration practice at Uría Menéndez.
Since 1997, Miguel has been a permanent member of the commercial law section of the General Commission of Codification.
- Law Degree, Universidad de Oviedo, 1978, award for the best academic results
- Doctor in Law (Ph.D.), summa cum laude, Universitá degli Studi di Bologna, 1981
- LL.M. Columbia University, New York, 1982
- American Society of International Law
- Association Suisse de l’Arbitrage
- CARAT - Comité Argentino de Arbitraje Nacional y Transnacional
- Commission on Arbitration of the Spanish ICC Committee
- International Insolvency Institute
- Madrid Bar Association
- Spanish Arbitration Club