Passing of Aurelio Menéndez Menéndez
It is with deep regret that we announce the death, in Madrid, of Aurelio Menéndez Menéndez, the Honorary President and Co-Founder of Uría Menéndez.January 3, 2018
Born in Gijón in 1927, Aurelio enjoyed a well-earned reputation for his lifelong dedication to legal study and research which led him to hold the following positions:
- Honorary Member of the Asturian Academy of Jurisprudence (“Academia Asturiana de Jurisprudencia”).
- Emeritus Judge of the Constitutional Court.
- President of the Commercial Law Section of the General Commission of Codification (“Comisión General de Codificación”).
- Full Member of the Royal Academy of Jurisprudence and Legislation (“Real Academia de Jurisprudencia y Legislación”).
- State Counselor (“Consejero de Estado”).
Aurelio also played an active role in the Spanish political scene and was Minister of Education and Science between 1976 and 1977.
Uría Menéndez has lost a great teacher, an example of magnanimity, generosity, decency and modesty. He will be greatly missed and remembered by us all.