Fernando Azofra is a partner in the Madrid office of Uría Menéndez. He was admitted to the Madrid Bar in 1992 and joined the firm in 1993. He set up and headed the firm's Lisbon office from 1998 to 2001.
He advises domestic and foreign companies on real estate and banking matters, asset finance and M&A with an underlying real estate component. He has broad expertise in structuring and implementing property investments, divestments and financings. He has assisted in corporate and real estate deals involving an aggregate consideration of over EUR 38 billion. In relation to his financing expertise, he has outlined mortgage-backed financings, project finance, structured financings and 'plain vanilla' financings for over EUR 15.3 billion (some of which were the first deals of their kind in Spain, as is the case of the deals structured over floating mortgages and with blanket mortgages).
He is regarded as a Leading Lawyer by the main international legal directories such as Chambers & Partners and International Who's Who of Lawyers.
- Law Degree (with Honours), Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), 1992
- Business Administration Degree, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE), 1993
- Ph.D. in Law, summa cum laude, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 2014
- Special prize to the best doctorate student, 2015
- From October 2018, he is one of the 7 members of the Experts’ Committee appointed by the Ministry of Justice to reform the Spanish pre-insolvency and insolvency legislation
- Madrid Bar Association
- Member of the Editorial Board of the "Revista General de Insolvencias & Reestructuraciones (I&R)"
- Co-chair of the Banking Law Committee of the International Bar Association
He lectures on property, M&A and banking in law schools, legal and business institutes and organisations.