Jorge was the managing partner of Uría Menéndez’s Valencia office. He is head of Uría Menéndez’s Indian Desk and he has been a member of the Board of the Europe India Chamber of Commerce since 2010.
He joined the firm in 1991 and was made partner in 1996. He opened and headed the firm’s London office from 1991 to 1996.
Jorge has extensive experience in corporate, banking and finance, and M&A, together with a strong background in European and competition law. He also advises on insurance, energy and private equity matters. He has been secretary to the board of directors of several leading companies and has experience as an ad hoc arbitrator.
In November 2019 Jorge was appointed President Elect of the International Association of Lawyers (UIA) where he has also been Vice President, from November 2018 to November 2019, and Director of International Relations, from November 2012 to November 2018. Previously he was chairman of the organisation’s Corporate Law Commission from the UIA Congress held in October 2002 until October 2008. He was also the national president of the Spanish chapter of the UIA from 1 November 2008 until 31 October 2015. He is currently a member of the Executive Committee of the UIA in his capacity as Elected President.
Jorge Martí is Honorary Consul of Belgium in Valencia, head of the firm’s Indian Desk and, working closely with local law firms, coordinates the interests of Spanish clients in India. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Europe-India Chamber of Commerce.
Jorge has been recognised for his work in M&A and capital markets by Global Counsel 3000, Global Counsel Handbooks and Euromoney. He is listed as leading lawyer in the ‘Corporate/M&A’, ‘Banking & Finance’ and ‘Private Equity’ sections of Best Lawyers, 2019, 2018 and 2017. He was also listed as a Foreign Expert in Corporate/M&A in India by Chambers Global, 2016.
- Law Degree, Universidad de Valencia, 1985
- Master’s Degree in High European Studies, College of Europe Bruges, 1986
- The Hague Academy of International Law, 1984
- The International Institute of Human Rights, Strasbourg, 1985
- European Centre of Studies, Aosta, 1986
- Union Internationale des Avocats
- Valencia Bar Association
- Arbitrator for the Valencia Chamber of Arbitration
- Member of ASEABEL (Association of Spanish Students and Friends of Belgium)
- International Arbitrator at Corte Civil y Mercantil de Madrid (“CIMA”)
- Assistant lecturer in law, College of Europe, Bruges, 1986-1988.
- Lecturer in institutional and constitutional law and procedures of the European Communities, King’s College, London, 1993-1995.
- Associate lecturer in international financial law, Universidad de Valencia, 1996-1998.
- Lecturer in international financial law and commercial law of the EEC, Universidad Cardenal Herrera, Valencia, 1999-2004.
- Associate lecturer in commercial law, Universidad Cardenal Herrera de Valencia, 2005-present.