Luis de Carlos is the Senior Partner of Uría Menéndez. He joined the firm in 1983 and became a partner in 1991. Luis headed up the Barcelona office between 1993 and 1995 and was responsible for the firm’s professional practice until he was named Managing Partner in 2005, a position he held until December 2018.
Luis has 35 years of experience advising national and foreign companies in capital markets matters and also regularly advises on corporate governance, M&A, banking and corporate law.
The main international legal directories consider Luis the leading lawyer in Spain for capital markets work and throughout his career he has received numerous awards and accolades:
- Best Managing Partner at the Forbes Lawyers Awards in 2018
- Best Lawyer at the Expansión Legal Awards in 2018
- Best Reputation at the Legal Marcom Awards in 2018
- Professional Career at the Confilegal Awards in 2018
- Lawyer of the Year in Spain at the 2018 and 2019 editions of Best Lawyers
- Cross of Honour of the Order of St Raymond of Peñafort, awarded by the Ministry of Justice in 2017
- European Managing Partner of the Year at The Lawyer European Awards in 2016
- Consolidated Career at the ICADE Association Awards in 2011
Luis de Carlos is very active in civil society and holds the following positions, among others:
- Chairman of the Fundación ProCNIC
- Vice Chairman of the Fundación de Amigos del Museo del Prado.
- Vice Chairman of the Fundación Iberoamericana Empresarial
- Secretary General of the Fundación de Estudios Financieros
- Secretary of the Fundación Cotec para la Innovación.
- Law Degree with Honours, Universidad Pontificia Comillas, 1982
- Business Administration Degree, Universidad Pontificia Comillas, 1983
- Doctor in Law, cum laude, Universidad Pontificia Comillas, 1997
- Madrid Bar Association
- International Bar Association
Luis de Carlos lectured on securities law at the Universidad Pontificia de Comillas in Madrid from 1998 until 2013. Presently, he lectures on its Master’s Degree to Access the Legal Profession.
He is also a regular speaker and commentator at law seminars and conferences.
He is also the author of several books and articles.