Marta Pontes joined Uría Menéndez in 2004. Prior to joining Uría Menéndez, she worked in a Portuguese law firm and a consultancy firm.
Marta focuses her practice on tax law, and specialises in the following areas:
- Mergers and acquisitions: tax issues concerning the acquisition of companies, mergers and joint ventures.
- Financial products and capital markets: drafting of prospectuses, as well as the tax analysis of resident and non-resident companies.
- International tax planning: foreign investments in Portugal (taxation of non-resident companies and individuals) and Portuguese investments abroad.
- Real estate transactions and project finance: all related tax issues, in particular, the acquisition and transfer of real estate, real estate projects, shopping centres and project finance transactions.
- Tax inspections and disputes: representing clients in tax proceedings, claims and appeals before the Portuguese tax authorities and the Portuguese courts.
- Law Degree, Faculdade de Direito da Universidade de Lisboa, 2001
- Postgraduate Degree in Tax, Instituto Superior de Gestão, 2003
- Portuguese Bar Association
Seminars and conferences
Marta is a regular speaker at law seminars and conferences.