Filipe Romão is a lawyer in the Lisbon office of Uría Menéndez-Proença de Carvalho. He joined the firm in 2001 after practicing in another prestigious Portuguese law firm and a leading consultancy firm from 1996 until 2001. He became a partner in January 2005.
Filipe focuses his practice on tax law, and advises on the following
- M&A: on tax issues arising from the acquisition of companies, mergers, IPOs and joint ventures.
- Financial products and capital markets: on the design of financial products of various financial institutions and investment banks in order to optimise the tax treatment of those products.
- Family businesses and high net-worth individuals: on obtaining tax benefits and passing on family businesses in the most tax efficient manner.
- International tax planning: on foreign investments in Portugal (taxation of non-resident companies and individuals) as well as Portuguese investments abroad.
- Real estate transactions and project finance: on conventional tax issues, and in particular those related to (i) the acquisition and transfer of real estate, (ii) the development of real estate generally and (iii) project finance transactions.
- Tax inspections and disputes: on claims and appeals, representing clients before the Portuguese tax authorities and courts.
He is recognized by major publications (Chambers Europe, Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal, etc.) for his work in the area of tax law.
- Law Degree, Faculdade de Direito da Universidade Clássica de Lisboa, 1995
- Postgraduate Degree in Tax Law, Instituto Superior de Gestão, 1998
- Postgraduate Degree in Securities, Faculdade de Direito da Universidade Clássica de Lisboa, 1999
- Postgraduate Degree in Management, Universidade Católica Portuguesa, 1996-1997
- Portuguese Bar Association
- Portuguese Fiscal Association
Filipe is a lecturer on corporate income tax at the Universidade Católica Portuguesa between 2013 to 2020, as well as a regular speaker on tax law at conferences both in Portugal and abroad.