Pedro Ferreira Malaquias is a partner based in the Lisbon office of Uría Menéndez-Proença de Carvalho. He joined the firm in 2004 when Vasconcelos, F. Sá Carneiro, Fontes & Associados - one of the most prestigious Portuguese law firms - integrated with Uría Menéndez. He heads the Finance Department and is responsible for the areas of banking and insurance.
Before joining this firm, Pedro worked in the legal department of the Banco Português do Atlântico; in the Competition Directorate General of the European Commission, between 1986 and 1988; and headed the legal department of BCP Investimento - Banco Comercial Português de Investimento between 1995 and 2001.
Since 1998, Pedro has worked as a legal consultant for the Portuguese Banking Association, and acts as their representative on the Legal Committee and on the Consumers’ Committee of the European Banking Federation.
He has also been a member of the European Financial Markets Lawyers Group for several years, which is a group of senior legal experts from the EU banking sector who analyse and propose initiatives designed to foster the harmonisation of laws and market practices and facilitate the integration of financial markets in Europe.
Pedro specialises in banking and insurance law and is involved in the following:
- Banking: advice on all legal aspects related to retail and investment banks, including loans, credit facilities, guarantees, commercial paper and structured finance.
- Securities: advice on diverse areas of securities law, including financial intermediation, markets, settlement procedures, cross-border services, venture capital, and securities and bond issues. Legal advice on products such as repos, securities lending, derivative and transactions.
- Securitisation of credits: advice on credit securitization transactions.
- Insurance: negotiation of insurance contracts on project finance and structured finance transactions, due diligences within the insurance field, advice on financial products and regulatory and supervision issues.
International legal directories (Chambers, IFLR 100, Legal 500, etc.) name him one of the leading lawyers in Portugal.
- Law Degree, Universidade de Lisboa, 1982
- Post-graduate Degree in European Community Law, College of Europe, Bruges 1982-1983
- Portuguese Bar Association (Under Portuguese law, being a member of a Portuguese Bar Association suffices to act before the courts, including the European Court of Justice)
- European Financial Markets Lawyers Group (sponsored by the European Central Bank)
- Member of the Portuguese European Law Association (APDE)
- Member of the Legal Committee and Consumers’ Committee of the European Banking Federation
- Member of the former Legal Certainty Group (sponsored by the European Commission)