Tito Arantes Fontes has been a partner of the firm since 2004, when his previous firm, Vasconcelos, F. Sa Carneiro, Fontes & Associados - one of the most prestigious Portuguese law firms, founded in 1993 - integrated with Uría Menéndez.
He has over 30 years of experience as a lawyer.
Tito was the head of the Litigation Practice Area until the end of 2018 covering all aspects of dispute resolution in both contentious and non-contentious matters. He represents clients in civil, criminal and commercial proceedings, at all instances including the higher courts and the Constitutional Court. He also acts in arbitration hearings, either as an arbitrator or as a lawyer representing parties in insolvency proceedings, particularly in the Commercial Court. Tito represents Portuguese and foreign companies before the Portuguese courts and arbitration tribunals and also actively participates in the negotiation, drafting and enforcement of complex agreements, often after years of litigation.
- Business Management Course, Instituto de Novas Profissões (Lisbon), 1979
- Law Degree, Universidade de Coimbra, 1982
- Post-graduate Degree in Pharmaceutical and Medical Law, Universidade de Coimbra, 2002
- Post-graduate Degree in White Collar Crime and European Law, Universidade de Coimbra, 2004
- Portuguese Bar Association.
- Founding member of “APA – Associação Portuguesa de Arbitragem” (Portuguese Arbitration Association).
- Founding member of the “Círculo de Advogados de Contencioso” (Litigation Lawyers Circle).
- Member of “ICC – International Chamber of Commerce” – Portuguese Delegation, (Centre of Conciliation and Conflict Mediation).
- Member of “Concórdia – Centro de Conciliação, Mediação de Conflitos e Arbitragem” (Centre for Conciliation, Conflict Mediation and Arbitration).
- Member of CEA - Club Español del Arbitraje (Spanish Arbitration Club).
- President of the “Círculo de Advogados de Contencioso” (Litigation Lawyers’ Circle) Direction.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the “Centro de Arbitragem Comercial da Câmara de Comércio e Indústria Portuguesa (ACL) (Commercial Arbitration Centre of the Portuguese
Chamber of Commerce and Industry).
- Chair of the general meeting of several Portuguese companies and the rugby and basketball federations.
- Member of the Supervisory Board of “Grémio Literário” (Literary Guild)
- Management Board Member of “A.C.P. – Automóvel Club de Portugal” (Automobile Club of Portugal).
- Member of the Board of Directors of Fundação Medeiros e Almeida??
Between 1985 and 1987, Tito was a lecturer on various law courses at the Training Centre of the Caixa Geral de Depósitos.
Lecturer in several of the postgraduate courses in arbitration at the Law Faculty of the Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
Tito has served as arbitrator or lawyer in numerous arbitrations before various arbitration courts, such as the ICC - International Chamber of Commerce, the Centro de Arbitragem Comercial da Associação Comercial de Lisboa (Commercial Arbitration Centre of the Lisbon Commercial Association), the Arbitration Centre of Concórdia - Centro de Conciliação, Mediação de Conflitos e Arbitragem (Conciliation Centre, Conflict Mediation and Arbitration,) as well as in multiple ad-hoc arbitrations.
Tito has vast professional experience from more than 1000 cases in various national and international jurisdictions such as corporate litigation (including between shareholders), litigation on urban planning and real estate projects, litigation on contracts of a varied nature in multiple sectors, financial litigation (among others, regarding swaps) and inheritance litigation.